Chewsday Review- I Love Baking Rainbow Choc Magic Cookies

Rainbows, chocolate AND magic in cookies?! It all just seems too good to be true! Or is it? In today’s Chewsday Review we look at Rainbow Choc Magic Cookies from I Love Baking.

🔸 Ingredients

🔹 Wheat flour, butter, sugar, chocolate, sprinkles – sounds a lot like a normal cookie recipe to me!

🔹 Here we go again though with the fancy sugar terms! The inclusion of ‘unrefined sugar’ doesn’t actually mean a lot – sugar is sugar! Date puree also adds to the sugar content of these cookies. Replacing a small amount of sugar with date puree in a cookie isn’t going to do a whole lot in terms of health. The chocolate and the sprinkles are also sources of sugar.

🔹 Natural colours are a nice addition in place of artificial colouring.


🔹 No artificial colours, flavours or preservatives certainly is a good thing (but also pretty standard.)


🔹 These are high in both fat and sugar with 27.4g and 32.3g per 100g respectively. That’s almost ⅓ of each cookie being sugar!

🔹 The serving size of these is ridiculously small. Like RIDICULOUSLY small. 1 serve = 1x 9g cookie. To put that into context, a regular Cadbury Choc Chip Cookie is 26g – almost 3x the size! So whilst the nutrition per serve may look okay ‘per biscuit’, it can be a bit misleading if you eat more than a mouthful.

🔹 It’s easy to get caught up in the health halo marketing of this product – but at the end of the day, it’s just a cookie! I wouldn’t say they’re any better than other cookies on the market.


🔹 So much marketing… such small cookies....

🔹 ‘20% of the sweetness comes from the natural goodness of dates’. Date puree is still essentially sugar – and then, where does the other 80% come from?!

🔹 ‘With the goodness of oats’. These are so far down the ingredients list their benefits would be negligible. At the very most this product is between 3-10% oats. Hardly a lot of goodness.

🔹 ‘Made with natural colouring, butter and unrefined sugar’. Again with the unrefined sugar – it doesn’t mean much!


🔹 This clever marketing doesn’t come without a cost! These cookies cost $4.50 for 185g whilst standard Coles Choc Chip Cookies are only $2 for 500g. Ironically, the Coles cookies have less fat and less sugar than these ones!

🔹 Whilst cookies aren’t an everyday food, they can be part of a balanced diet if you are only having them occasionally. If you are going to enjoy a few – try a more affordable brand, enjoy eating them and don’t get caught up in the slick marketing of this brand.


About Toddler Mealtimes

Toddler Mealtimes is an online subscription for parents who want to feel confident about teaching their toddler to enjoy a variety of foods. It's particularly helpful for those who are noticing their toddler becoming increasingly fussy, but they're not quite sure to handle it. The 12 month subscription guides you through managing toddler fussiness with confidence with regular tips and tricks via videos and photos. Sign up here

About Baby Mealtimes

Baby Mealtimes is an online subscription for parents with babies aged 4-12 months. It’s your one-stop-shop for everything you need to know about introducing solid food to your baby. The monthly subscription (or 8 month package) guides you through what to offer and when, with meal ideas and a photo gallery of over 120 finger foods organised by age. Sign up here

About Mealtime Building Blocks

Dr Kyla Smith and Liz Beaton are paediatric dietitians specialising in fussy eating, feeding difficulties and childhood nutrition. Lauren Pike is an occupational therapist working in fussy eating and feeding difficulties. They have a private practice called Mealtime Building Blocks in Perth, Western Australia. You can connect with Kyla, Liz and Lauren here

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Google+ Basic Square