Chewsday Review- McCain’s Sweet Potato Straight Cut Chips

These aren’t your average bag of potato chips. These are sweet potato chips! But does orange signify better? Let’s see how they compare to regular potato chips in today’s Chewsday Review…🍠🍟vs 🥔🍟


🔹Sweet potato, Batter (water, maize flour, rice flour, modified maize starches (1420, 1412), tapioca starch, salt, maize starch, tapioca dextrin, raising agent (450), Stabilizer (415), turmeric extract, colour (160c)), sunflower oil.

🔹Sweet potatoes are naturally fat free, a good source of fibre and an excellent source of vitamins A, C and B6. There are three varieties of sweet potato with the gold variety having orange skin and bright orange flesh, other varieties include white skinned with creamy white flesh and the purple sweet potato. This product is 87% sweet potato.

🔹Common allergens include soy, wheat/gluten, milk

🔶The positives:

🔹 Sweet potatoes are naturally higher in fibre than regular potatoes and this product a good source of fibre with 3.4g per 100g serve. Most vegetables, fruits and wholegrains are good sources of fibre. For children aged 4-8 years a serve would provide 20% of their daily requirements.

🔹Sodium intake is reasonably low at 210mg/100g with some added salt to the product. Be cautious of this if deciding to add extra salt to these chips.

🔹Sugar content is 9.1g/100g, however this isn’t added sugar, sweet potatoes naturally have a higher sugar content giving them the “sweet” potato name.

🔹Saturated fat is low at 1.0g/100g. This is a big positive for a product often providing significant saturated fat.

🔹Low in cholesterol with less than 1 mg/100g (but only because animal products haven’t been added).

🔶The negatives:

🔹These have a high sweet potato content of 87%, but that leaves 13% as flour, starch and oil. When comparing to making your own “sweet potato fries” by cutting up a whole sweet potato and baking in the oven, this could be up to 100% pure sweet potato and just as delicious.

🔶The marketing:

🔹 “Wholesome and tasty just like homemade” You’d be unlikely to add those starches at home, but otherwise they’re pretty wholesome.

🔹4 star health rating, which is less than normal McCain’s straight cut potato chips. One star is lost for higher energy content per 100g.

🔹No artificial flavours and no preservatives! That is wonderful but it does appear the orange colour isn’t all just from the sweet potato itself… (I’m actually not vaguely bothered about this though).

🔶The alternatives:

🔹When comparing these to just the regular McCain’s straight cut potato chips they’re higher in fibre, but contain more saturated fat and more sodium.

🔹For a quick and easy crunchy side to meals, these are a pretty reasonable option.


About Toddler Mealtimes

Toddler Mealtimes is an online subscription for parents who want to feel confident about teaching their toddler to enjoy a variety of foods. It's particularly helpful for those who are noticing their toddler becoming increasingly fussy, but they're not quite sure to handle it. The 12 month subscription guides you through managing toddler fussiness with confidence with regular tips and tricks via videos and photos. Sign up here

About Baby Mealtimes

Baby Mealtimes is an online subscription for parents with babies aged 4-12 months. It’s your one-stop-shop for everything you need to know about introducing solid food to your baby. The monthly subscription (or 8 month package) guides you through what to offer and when, with meal ideas and a photo gallery of over 120 finger foods organised by age. Sign up here

About Mealtime Building Blocks

Dr Kyla Smith and Liz Beaton are paediatric dietitians specialising in fussy eating, feeding difficulties and childhood nutrition. Lauren Pike is an occupational therapist working in fussy eating and feeding difficulties. They have a private practice called Mealtime Building Blocks in Perth, Western Australia. You can connect with Kyla, Liz and Lauren here

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Google+ Basic Square